Handheld computers can really change the way kids work in the classroom. When each student has the technology readily available amazing things can happen! My intent for this blog is to collect and post ideas, comments and resources for all. Please join me!

Sunday, August 13, 2006

LOVE my handheld!

I have been using a handheld for the past three or four years to help me with many of the tasks that we as teachers must do every day. I create class lists, calculate and record grades, do my weekly lesson plans, and write my monthly newsletter on my handheld. In addition, I use it regularly to take anecdotal notes in my classroom that help me asses students' progress and keep track of student accomplishments and behavioral issues.

This past school year I was fortunate to have the use of a whole class set of handhelds in my classroom. Our handhelds were used to complete activities and projects across the curriculum - anything from quick writes, to reading about JFK or Christopher Columbus, to completing math activities using excel spreadsheets. Virtually every activity that we did on our handhelds could have been done with paper and pencil as well, so that a temporary malfunction or a charged down handheld did not hold a student back from working on an activity or project.

One of the most exciting tools we discovered this past year is PAAM, an online application that lets you collect, organize, manage, and print student work done on the handhelds. Without PAAM, some handheld applications cannot be printed without special equipment.

I'm very excited to start the next school year and get my students into using the handhelds right away! We did so much with them last year, but there is so much more that can be done! If anyone would like to hear about some of the handheld lessons we did, or if anyone has any handheld lesson ideas, please let me know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home